At the beginning of the forth session of 2nd Vatican Council (1962-65), Pope John XXIII asked the whole church to pray to the Holy Spirit to renew the church. The various bishops returned to their dioceses to make real the vision of renewal in all areas of the catholic life. In February 1967 a group of students from Duquesne University in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania realized the outflow of the Holy Spirit during a retreat, aided by the prayer to the Holy Spirit. This was the beginning of the Catholic Charismatic Renewal (CCR) which is perhaps one of the Holy Spirit’s most powerful agents for the renewing of the hearts of His people.
At St. Theresa Parish, CCR started in the early 1980’s by one of the founding fathers from the Holy Spirit Cathedral by name Mr. Charles Asirifi. The sacrifices and leadership of subsequent coordinators such as Brs. Henry Quist, Anthonio (deceased), Barnabas Cudjoe, Joseph Quist and currently Michael Anson, have seen the prayer group through to this day, together with their respective team of leaders referred to as the Service Team.
The Renewal exist to prepare God’s people for work of service so that the body of Christ may be built up until we reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ (Eph 4:12,13). The Renewal helps people to foster mature and continuous conversion to Jesus Christ, promote a decisive personal receptivity to the person, presence and power of the Holy Spirit and the use of spiritual giftings. Moreover, the prayer group advances the evangelization of the ‘unchurched’, re-evangelization of nominal Christians and the evangelization of culture and social structures. Furthermore, the prayer group promotes the ongoing growth in Holiness through the proper integration of these Charismatic emphases with the full life of the Church.
The active ministries within the CCR in Kaneshie are:
- The Music Ministry: Leads the body of Christ in songs of praises, worship, adoration and minister to the hearts of people to be closer to God.
- The Evangelism Ministry: Champions the evangelistic activities of the prayer group in wining souls to God. Leading the way with Ga-Rural Outreach, Basic Christian Communities and community based evangelization programs
- The Teaching Ministry: Devoted to the study and teaching of the word of God. They are also responsible for formation/teaching programs
- The Healing and Deliverance ministry: Exist to fulfill the word of God in Luke 4:18.
- The Intercession and Prophetic ministry: Stand in the gap in prayer and fasting for the Body of Christ.
In conclusion, the prayer group exists to evangelize (Math 28:19), pray and renew the face of the Church by living the apostolic life as portrayed in Acts 2:44. The doors of the prayer group are open to everyone. The group meets on every Saturday at 5:30pm at the parish. The prayer group has an active prayer line (+233-24 6164917/ (0)26 4975215) for prayer request and support.
For general enquiries, contact:
Mobile: 0509520112 or 0244430497
Email: [email protected]
Praise the Lord! Now and forever!!!